C#

Game Jammin’, the antisocial way (3)

It’s been a couple of days since the last update, and I’m making good progress so far!

shmup2

The game looks mostly like I want it to look (except for the player ship that’s going to get a reworking tomorrow). Collision detection works, garbage collection works, the basic game script is in place. I’m still missing the final boss, and also the miniboss I’ve got so far is probably the easiest opponent in the whole game.

The whole thing can be played through in about two minutes – that’ll probably go up a bit with said final boss, maybe to three minutes. But I don’t think somebody who has never played a shmup before will beat it on the first try.

What’s still also missing is a scoring system that actually produces reasonable results and makes getting a high score actually challenging. So far, every run that makes it to the end will have exactly the same score – that’s not really interesting.

Kongregate statistics integration is mostly there and already debugged. Music is in place, as are some sound effects – though one or two of those are still missing.

In total, I have spent about 10 hours with this project, which is less than I hoped to do, but I’m still dealing with The Move™ and searching a job, which takes up some time as well and is the reason I gave me a whole week of time for this. Five hours or so are still missing until the whole thing is finished, I guess.

On a side note, the script that spawns enemies is probably the worst bit of code I ever wrote and I really, really have to share it with you.

(more…)

Advertisements